Confirmation Statement


Have you ever heard of the Confirmation Statement, and if so, what is this? Well, whether you have just set up your own company or have been running a company for a while, it is a form that you will need to file with Companies House each year. The form is filed on public record along with a shortened version of company accounts and these documents are available for inspection on the public record. If you have a good accountant they will usually file the Confirmation Statement for you.

A brief history 

As a director of your own company, the form became a requirement to complete in the UK in 2016. Furthermore, the form took the place of a previous version named the Annual Return.

The Confirmation Statement now shows less info when you compare it to its previous versions. The rise of cyber-related crime in recent years prompted the government to make changes to the form.

The info that you report on the form shows up on the Public Register (PR). The PR is on the Companies House website, and it is available for both businesses and individuals to see.

As a director, it is one of your legal duties to file a Confirmation Statement each year. When you do so, the details held by Companies House for your UK company will then be accurate and up to date.


Companies House filing duties  

Every year, as a director, part of your duties include filing two documents with Companies House. These two documents are:    
  • The annual Accounts. The accounts that you file display certain financial info about your business. The accounts include your Balance Sheet and they are a reduced version from the full set of company accounts. They only show the info that Companies House requires under the present reporting requirements.  
  • The Confirmation Statement. This form shows your business’ legal data. You will report on here who the company officials are and where the registered office is. It also shows other details, such as the business trade (this is signified by the SIC code) and who the controlling parties are.

The Confirmation Statement 

The Confirmation Statement form has a `made up to date.’ This date is normally the anniversary of when your business’ incorporation. That is unless you decided in the past to file one to a different date.

What’s more, your Confirmation Statement is due with Companies House 14 days after the date that you make the form up to.

You can file the form online via the WebFiling service on the Companies House website. Your accountant will typically do this for you as part of their service.

There is also a £13 fee to pay when you file the form. This fee is a tax-deductible expense.

Besides the annual Conformation Statement form that you need to file, you can also file a further one before your next one is due if required. You might need to do this if you become aware that an error needs correcting. There is no £13 fee to pay if you file another form before the next one is usually due. However, you have to complete a paper version and send it through the post.

Report changes during the year 

Every company needs to report to Companies House certain changes when they take place during the year.

One frequent change may include a change in your registered office address. Another change may be when you appoint or resign the officials or the change of a company official’s address.

Other changes may include the allotment of new shares and the who owns the shares.

If you would like to change the name of your limited company, I have a separate guide for this.

Once again, you can file these changes via the WebFiling service on the Companies House website.

What the Confirmation Statement form shows  

Below is a list of what the Confirmation Statement form includes in more detail:

  • The company name and registration number.  
  • The registered office address. Also, a Single Alternative Inspection Location. This address is also known as SAIL.  
  • The Confirmation Statement also shows the address where you keep the company’s statutory registers
  • The full name(s) of each director. Also, their residential address and service address. It will also include their date of birth, occupation, and nationality. 
  • The full name of your company secretary. Also, their service address. Today, most contractors do not have one as there is now no legal requirement for this.  
  • The full names of the shareholders. It includes the type of shares that are in issue. It also shows the details of any transfer of shares. 
  • Shown on the Confirmation Statement is a statement of capital that will include the total number of shares in the company. It will also include the aggregate nominal value of the shares and, if relevant, the aggregate amount that is unpaid on the shares.  
  • You should also confirm for each type of shares, the total number of shares, and the rights that attach to them. You also need to show their trading status and their aggregate nominal value.  
  • The Confirmation Statement also shows details for any PSC. PSC stands for Person with Significant Control. These include their name, date of birth, nationality, and the same two addresses as a director. It also shows the date when they first became a PSC.  
  • Please note, all companies now need to keep a PSC register at their registered office. You can also keep this at the alternative SAIL address. It must also be ready for inspection upon request.  

Legal requirement  

It is a legal duty to file the Confirmation Statement each year. Failure to do so could lead Companies House to think that your company is no longer trading. They could then strike your business off the register.

Final thoughts 

If your company does not have a secretary, it will be one of the directors who will takes the duty of ensuring the Confirmation Statement is filed on time every year.   

If you complete the form yourself, you will need to check through the details. Please make sure that you make any necessary changes before you file this.     

As a final thought, many UK contractors do not have to worry about the need to file the Confirmation Statement They will typically just let their accountant deal with this for them.   

Link to Contractor Advice UK group on 


Published On: March 11th, 2021 / Categories: First timer guide, Member Only Articles, Other Guides / Tags: /

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Leave A Comment