(Image from rawpixel.com)
Advertising for contractors -introduction
Marketing and advertising costs -as a UK business owner and limited company contractor, can you claim these expenses through your business? In addition, what sort of contractor advertising ideas should you think about and which ones are genuine tax-deductible expenses? In this article, we will investigate advertising for contractors and look at contractor advertising online and see what this entails.
When you are a contractor, and you run your own company, there may come a time when you would like to promote your services and think up some good advertising ideas that relate to you and your contracting business. Therefore, starting a campaign with some of the best advertising ideas may help lead to potential new clients and help grow your business. Your existing customers may see these adverts for your contracting business, which may help build your customer relationships.
Therefore, let us investigate some of the best online advertising for contractors in addition to an overall contractor marketing plan which may help you in the future and could be worthwhile. Advertising for contractors could be a key part to help promote your skills and showcase your work to a wider audience.
Best marketing strategies for contractors
Besides looking for the best contractor advertising ideas, it is worth noting that many small businesses in all industries will investigate marketing strategies and how this could best benefit them. As a contractor, it will be useful to know some contractor marketing tips to assist with your own contractor marketing plan. Today, many contractors and small businesses will use digital marketing to advertise their product or services to target audiences. Therefore, some general ideas for advertising and online advertising for contractors could include:
- Marketing on social media platforms.
- Print ads in the local or national press.
- PPC advertising. PPC stands for Pay Per Click, meaning you will be charged every time someone clicks on your ad. You could therefore investigate some pay per click advertising for contractors.
Each component of marketing is worth looking at for your business. Furthermore, many business owners, including contractors, now have their own business websites.
Older types of advertising strategies would include flyers and adverts in the media.
Some good marketing ideas for contractors and a great plan around this can lead to potential customers. If you think carefully about how to approach this, your marketing efforts may pay off in the future.
As a result of paying for some advertising and marketing costs, can you claim these as genuine business expenses through your company and save Corporation Tax?
Contractor advertising and recent times
In many senses, being a limited company contractor is no different from many other businesses. Many years ago, most would not consider advertising and marketing costs as contractors’ actual costs. Times have changed, though, with the presence of the web and social media in today’s world.
The internet is now where many contractors find new contract work.
Therefore, you may look to create some contractor ads for your company and your profile to increase your chances of landing your next contract.
The difference between marketing and advertising
The role of advertising is where a company pays to deliver its message to a target market. In contrast, marketing covers much more. The marketing process will include all of the aspects of the advertising-related work. However, it will also include the market research required to serve those adverts properly.
Furthermore, marketing will include the overall planning process and the work needed to price the goods and services competitively and monitor the efficiency of all activities undertaken. This could include looking at consumer behaviour and planning which advertising campaigns will be conducted.
Marketing tools and contractor advertising online
The main types of contractor marketing ideas which are available to help you sell products or sell your services as part of an overall marketing campaign are:
- Online advertising. This can help boost your profile or website by carrying out some contractor advertising onlineeither via social media or actual online adverts.
- Social media marketing activities. Again, this can help improve your online presence on social media and boost your advertising online.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM).
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to help your business appear higher in search results.
- Creation and design of content marketing.
- Lead Capture and Conversion.
The types of marketing and contractor advertising costs that you can claim
Some advertising ideas for business that may be well worth paying for, as part of your contractor ads, will include:
- Hire a CV professional to review your CV and help you update it. They can add your job experience and detail your knowledge and skills. This may attract potential hiring managers to you in the future. This service is relatively cheap and could be a good investment for your future.
- Hire a LinkedIn profile expert to take a look at and `spruce’ up your profile. They can ensure that the layout is correct and shows your experience and achievements. They will also ensure that they show keywords, which recruiters use when searching LinkedIn for new candidates. This service is also not very expensive and could be a good move for the future.
- Create and run your website and look after your brand management. You could do this in your own home office. Many IT contractors have an idea of where to start, but if you are unsure about certain aspects, you could use a template like WordPress. WP will help you with the basics. You could hire a web designer for specific elements that you do not understand, such as web templates and a logo, etc. Your website will have annual hosting costs on web servers, and the yearly fee is typically less than £100. When your site is up and running you could look into some website advertising ideas.
Contractor advertising ideas -other costs which you can claim
Other types of business advertising ideas and marketing-related costs that you may incur will include:
- The cost of a business computer that you can use for your business activities, including advertising and marketing.
- The cost of a web domain or domains that show your business name. This will give your business a professional image when it has its own domain. It would help if you used this in conjunction with your business website. What’s more, you could also use the domain name for business emails. Domains will need renewing on an annual basis, and this typically costs less than £30.
- Other web costs include Google Adwords, Facebook, and Twitter adverts. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for your website. Please note that Google ranks websites on content. Moreover, well-written content is what Google looks out for when ranking sites on the internet.
- Advertisements in press and media. Such adverts can be both in local and national media. You might also choose to use some of the online business listing sites.
Marketing and advertising are genuine business expenses. Therefore, it is good to come up with some good contractor marketing ideas to assist you in the future. Importantly, you can deduct these against tax if they are solely for your business.
Finally, if you may be marketing your business through `entertaining’ (meals out with past, present, or potential new clients, etc.). If so, you can treat these as business expenses; however, they are not tax-deductible.
Link to Contractor Advice UK group on