Site icon Contractor Advice UK

Director’s Service Address 2024/25: UK Limited Company Guide

Director's service address

Director's service address


When setting up a new company for future UK contracting, you must choose a registered office address for the limited company (UK) and a service address for the director. Therefore, what should you consider for your director’s and the official UK company addresses? As part of setting up your own UK contractor limited company, there are several things to consider for your registered office and director’s service address. Regarding the director service address, it’s your official address as director and your UK business address for the company. Today, one can perform a simple company directors search (UK) on the Companies House website. As a result, your details may come up, and although this only shows basic information, it does include your official service address. Therefore, as a director, your Companies House service address and registered office require careful consideration as they’re official business addresses for the business.

The official service address is necessary because it’s part of your official director’s information (UK). Moreover, it’s shown online on the Companies House Public Register, a public record. Also, it’s the official director’s correspondence address, which Companies House and other official bodies can mail you. Therefore, your official director’s details (Companies House) as a UK limited company director require careful thought. This guide will review what you should consider for your contractor address as a limited company director. We’ll also look at the options for your official director’s business address (UK). In addition, we’ll research the process when you’re changing address at Companies House. This will include how you can easily change your address on Companies House online.

Initial thoughts 

Company registered office address (UK)

When you set up a company in the UK, you must have at least one director. They are also known as a company officer. The registered office is the company service address (UK), while the director service address (Companies House) is your official address as director. Choosing these business addresses (UK) is one of your legal requirements as a limited company contractor when you set up a new company. Therefore, company directors (UK) must consider and choose their registered office and official address as directors wisely.

Common questions

When you’re a UK director, you may have questions about your official company address (UK) and how this shows up on public records. Therefore, such questions could include:

  • How do you find the home address of a company director?
  • What is a director service address?
  • Can I use a PO box for Companies House?
  • What is a service address Companies House?
  • Can I hide my address on Companies House?
  • Can I remove my address from Companies House?
  • How do you change a director’s address at Companies House?
  • How do you remove your address from Companies House?
  • How many companies can be registered at one address?

In this guide, we’ll research the service address and how to change it officially, should you need to.

First thoughts

How to set up your own limited company

When you set up a new UK company for contracting in the UK, you’ve three choices:

  • Do this yourself.
  • Ask your accountant to do this.
  • Use a company formation agent.

Filing of official documents

As a UK limited company owner, you will regularly deal with two main authorities. These are HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and Companies House. The latter is the official body that looks after all the administration and official filing for UK limited companies. Besides dealing with company formations, Companies House administer the routine filing of the following documents for UK limited companies:

  • The filing of annual accounts.
  • The filing of statutory information -this is known as the Confirmation Statement.
  • Filing of any official company changes, such as the company’s address or officials.

Choose the official director address (Companies House)

When you’re a new UK contractor or consultant and set up your own company for the first time, you must choose a registered office and director’s service address (and a service address as a PSC -see later). This `service address’ is your official Companies House director address, which appears on the UK public register.

Many limited company contractors who are directors themselves may have been running their company for several years. In many cases, they may have just used their home address at the outset as their official address without considering the visibility of this on the public register. Therefore, when you set up your new company, the address as a company officer is something you should consider.

When you start as a contractor with your own UK company, you must choose a registered office (this is effectively the service address for a limited company). When you select an address for this, you may be concerned your official home address will appear on the UK public record. Companies House maintains an online catalogue of UK companies called the Companies House register or public record. This shows certain information about every company in the UK.

Choose company officers

Besides choosing a registered office, you must select an address for each company officer. The officers are the company’s directors and, if appropriate, the company secretary. The address you should decide on is the officer’s service address for each person. What’s more, the director can live anywhere in the world. However, they must provide a full postal address as their official address as director, known as the service address. If the company is registered in England or Wales, the official address of company officers and the registered office must be in one of these countries. Therefore, when they’ve their home address in England or Wales, they may choose this as their company officer address. The same applies to companies set up in Scotland or Northern Ireland. i.e., the official addresses must be in those countries too.

Other useful guides

Besides this guide on your official director’s address, we’ve many other guides which help you navigate Companies House, explaining how to report and make specific changes. Indeed, we’ve covered in our guides:

What are the main considerations regarding official company addresses? 

A brief history 

Before 1 October 2009, the home address as a UK limited company director appeared on the public record. After introducing the Companies Act 2006, company officers can now provide a service address. This Act now gives privacy to those who need it.

Another recent change is UK companies must now report PSCs to Companies House. PSC stands for Person with Significant Control.

The Companies Act 2006 was one of the most significant pieces of law to come into play in recent years. Indeed, an earlier version removed the duty of companies to appoint a company secretary for small companies. The Companies Act 2006 brought some welcome changes, including more privacy for UK company directors.

Director’s residential address vs director’s service address 

What is a director’s service address when you own a UK company? This service address is your official address as a limited company contractor. As company officer and your director’s address (Companies House), please consider these points:

  • The service address can be your own personal home address. However, if you’d rather keep this private, you can usually use your accountant’s address. Also, you can use a company which offers a UK address service for companies and company officers. However, can you use a PO Box for Companies House? When considering a Companies House PO Box number, the rules state you can’t use a PO Box for limited company Neither can you use a DX number. This must be a postal address for Companies House and other government bodies. What’s more, most accountants allow their address to be used free of charge. Therefore, you can use either of these as a mailing address to physically receive your mail. Furthermore, any official mail delivered to one of these will ordinarily be scanned and emailed to you by your accountant or address service provider.
  • As a company director, you must provide a residential address. This must be your official home address. However, it will not be shown on public record.
  • Companies House keeps your director’s residential address on a private register, only viewable by certain public bodies. These bodies include credit reference agencies as they carry out certain checks.
  • In some cases, your residential address can still be private from credit reference agencies. To organise this, you must submit a privacy order. For example, it may be private if you’ve past or current links to the security services.

Change your official company addresses 

Your service & residential addresses

Companies House are informed of a director’s (and PSCs) service address when a company is formed. On an ongoing basis, UK contractors must notify Companies House when there are any changes in:

  • The registered office.
  • A director’s service or residential address.
  • A PSC’s service or residential address.

How do you change the director’s address at Companies House? 

Let’s now look at how to change the correspondence address on Companies House. You can change the company’s registered office (and correspondence address) or the director / PSC service and residential addresses anytime. Indeed, you’ve to inform Companies House of your new address if you move house. As a result, you’ll update your residential address, service address (if appropriate), and registered office if they are at the same address when you move.

When you change the director’s address (Companies House), you must update the new details on Companies House. Therefore, when you update your address (Companies House), you can complete the director change of address via form CH01. When you complete the CH01 form (Companies House), you can do this online or through the post. The reason for updating this, as and when changes occur, is to keep the Companies House register up to date as best as possible.

Most directors (or their accountants) will use the Companies House WebFiling service to update this change as it’s much more straightforward, quicker to complete, and more secure. The change or changes can be reported via the CS01 Confirmation Statement form, which a company files once per year. However, you shouldn’t wait to inform Companies House via this form, but rather complete the Companies House CH01 form as and when the change occurs.

What other areas are there to consider? 

UK director services companies 

As mentioned earlier, there are UK companies which offer company director services. This is usually part of companies’ overall company address service (UK). These online companies specialise in looking after multiple companies registered at one address. You can find these online by searching for `registered office address provider UK’ or `UK service address provider.’ If you choose one, they’ll provide a UK residential address service for the company registered office and your official addresses as a director and PSC. Besides registering your registered office and service addresses here, they may offer other essential services such as mail forwarding.

Director’s service address & date of birth change 

With the Companies Act of 2006 came another change. This change is the public register now only shows the director’s year and month of birth. Before this, their full date of birth, including the day they were born, was shown on the public record.

A person with Significant Control (PSC)

As mentioned earlier, all UK companies must now show who their PSCs are. A PSC owns at least 25% of a UK company’s share capital or voting rights. Companies House will give you a list of the possible reasons for someone being a PSC when:

  • As part of your company set-up.
  • When you’re filing the annual Confirmation Statement.

You must choose the correct option for your company’s PSC from this list.

As with the director service address (UK), you must submit an official address for each PSC. Companies House also requires the residential addresses for each PSC. However, only the service address for the director and PSC will show on the public record.

Director’s service address & personal statutory mail

The director’s service address is the official address of the company. Indeed, it’s the official Companies House mailing address, along with the registered office. Moreover, the director’s address is where other government agencies, such as HMRC, ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office), ONS (Office for National Statistics) and other government bodies will send official mail and correspondence.

As your official service address is a Companies House correspondence address, they’ll send notifications and reminders to file official documents to this address. They’ll also send legal notices and any other official letters here. Further still, they may send other mail from time to time. 

Registered office

Your business requires a registered office address to receive its statutory mail. For several reasons, you may not wish to show your home address as your registered office.

As with your official address as a company officer, you could opt to set your registered office at either:

  • Your accountant’s address if they offer this service.
  • You could use a business that provides address services. A quick online search will show the providers who offer these services. Their fee will depend on the level of service.

Any formal government mail and legal notices are posted to the registered office and the company officer’s addresses. In both cases, you must ensure your accountant or registered office provider forwards any statutory mail to you.

Statutory registers

When you run a limited company, you should keep statutory books. These records contain various registers of statutory information. One of these is the register of directors’ residential addresses, which will include one of the addresses you choose above.

Director’s service address London

Many businesses, including the larger ones, may prefer a London service address for the company registered office and service addresses. It’s common for UK businesses, especially the larger ones, to have a Companies House London office as their official address. The Companies House London address can benefit from the details online, which show your company has its official address and Companies House headquarters in the UK capital.

Protect your name & other details 

Can you hide your name on Companies House or hide director details on Companies House records? If you work under certain circumstances, you may be able to apply to protect your personal information on the Companies House register. As a result, you can apply to remove details from Companies House records. There’s a process to follow when you apply for this, and you can apply online or through the post.

This is the official guide from Companies House, which covers this area in more detail.

Final thoughts 

Your registered office and director service address show online and are used as a Companies House postal address. You may plan to set up your own company now or in the future. If you do, there are things to consider. This includes choosing your official company director address, registered office, and PSC service address. If you don’t wish to show your home address as your official address as a director on public record, you could use your accountant’s address or a mail forwarding service instead. If you do this for your registered office and service addresses from the start, your official home address will never appear on the public record.

It could be the case your company was set up before 1 October 2009. If so, you may have used your home address as your company’s registered office or your service address as director. When this is the case, it’ll have shown up on the public record for several years. On the other hand, you may have set your company up after 1 October 2009. If so, you might have used your home address as the registered office and the director’s service address. Once again, if this is the case, it’ll have shown on the public record for many years.

If you prefer privacy and your situation suits this, you might consider steps to close your company. You can then start up a new company in due course. As part of the new company set-up, you can consider the above and set the registered office and director’s service address at an address other than where you live if you want to keep your official home address private from the outset.

Link to Contractor Advice UK group on


Exit mobile version