Companies House Confirmation Statement (CS01 form)

Share This Guide, Choose Your Platform!


As a limited company contractor or UK limited company owner, you may wonder what is a Companies House Confirmation Statement form. Considering what the Ltd company confirmation statement (form CS01) is, it’s an annual Companies House filing requirement for all UK companies. All companies in the UK will file their CS01 form annually. In addition, as a UK contractor and company owner, you must file a Confirmation Statement and pay the annual fee for your UK contracting business each year. In addition, when we consider how to file Confirmation Statement each year, this is effectively a limited company annual return for your business.

The UK company Confirmation Statement form came into force on 30 June 2016. It applies to each UK business operating as a company. Furthermore, the form replaced a previous version called the Companies House annual return. This guide will consider what a Confirmation Statement for Companies House is and how to complete it.

As a UK contractor, you may have set up your own company for contracting recently and are now completing your first Confirmation Statement. On the other hand, you may have been running your company for a while and have already filed your contractor Confirmation Statement (Companies House) several times. As a limited company owner, you must complete and file the company statement every 12 months. This guide will examine how to file a Confirmation Statement (UK) and how the business Confirmation Statement filing at Companies House process works. Furthermore, we’ll consider which information to include when you file a company confirmation statement (UK).

Initial thoughts

First thoughts on the CS01 form

The annual UK Confirmation Statement for a contractor is officially referenced as form CS01. Basically, the Companies House CS01 form for a contractor is a yearly return (Companies House) that shows various company information, and you must file this once a year. In addition, your contractor’s Confirmation Statement (UK) includes the company number, the registered office, and details of company officials. Moreover, your contractor’s annual Confirmation Statement includes the company activity(s) and other information.

UK Public Record & what is CS01 form (Companies House)?

Every UK company files a CS01 on public record each year. As a limited company owner, you file a shortened version of the company accounts on public record annually. These documents are then available for inspection on the UK public record.

The Companies House CS01 form shown on public record contains the company name. It also shows the registration number, a basic declaration, and the name of the person who authenticated the form.

As a UK contractor limited company owner, if you have a good accountant, they’ll usually file the form for you.

Companies House Confirmation Statement & a brief history up to now 

As mentioned earlier, the CS01 replaced the Annual Return on 30 June 2016.

The new style of the Companies House form now shows less information than previous versions. Now, it just shows some basic company details, and the rise of cyber-related crime in recent years prompted the government to change the form.

The information you report on the form is shown on the Public Register.

The Public Register is on the Companies House website and is available for businesses and individuals to view online.

As a limited company contractor and director, one of your legal duties is to file a company Confirmation Statement CS01 each year. When you do so, Companies House ensures that the details held for your UK company are accurate and up to date. 

More initial considerations 

What are the annual Companies House filing duties? 

Every year, as a limited company contractor and director, part of your duties include filing two documents with Companies House. These two documents are:

  • Your contractor company annual accounts. The accounts which you file display certain financial information about your business. As part of this, the accounts include your Balance Sheet, a reduced version of the full set of company accounts. As a result, they only show the information that Companies House requires under the present reporting requirements. When it comes to filing, you must file accounts every twelve months. Moreover, a company has nine months after its year-end accounting date to file the accounts with Companies House.
  • Your contractor CS01 form. This contractor statement shows your business’ legal data. As part of your contractor CS01 filing, you’ll report who the company officials are and where the registered office is. In addition, the contractor form CS01  shows other details, such as the business trade (the SIC code signifies this) and who the controlling parties are. As a company owner, you must complete the limited company Confirmation Statement filing process every twelve months. Also, when you’re filing a Confirmation Statement, it has a `made up to date’, which is usually the anniversary of its incorporation date. Furthermore, the Companies House filing deadline for the CS01 is 14 days after the date the form is made up to. Therefore, if your form was made up to 10 June the deadline would be 24 June.

What if you fail to file the annual Confirmation Statement on time?

When there’s a failure to file the annual accounts or CS01 for the review period, this is a criminal offence. However, when you file these late, this isn’t an offence but can lead to fines. The company can even be struck off in some cases.

Therefore, as a UK contractor with your own UK company, these documents must be filed correctly and on time.

Which information does the CS01 show? 

The main details on the CS01 form

When you file the CS01, it includes the following details for your company:

  • The registered office address. Also, a Single Alternative Inspection Location. This address is known as SAIL.
  • The Companies House CS01 form shows the address where you keep the company’s statutory registers.
  • All company officers’ full name(s) and service address. These include directors and secretary. In addition, directors must provide their date of birth, nationality, occupation, and residential address. The Companies House register doesn’t show the residential address. It only shows the month and year of the director’s date of birth. Nowadays, most limited company contractors don’t have a company secretary. This is because there is no legal requirement for this.
  • The full names of the shareholders. This includes certain shareholder information, such as the type of shares in issue and the details of any share transfer. 

What other information is shown on the Companies House Confirmation Statement?

  • Shown on the form is a statement of capital, which includes the total number of shares in the company. In addition, it shows the aggregate nominal value of the shares and, if relevant, the total aggregate amount unpaid in respect of company shares.
  • You must confirm the total number of shares and their respective rights for each type of share. You’ll also show their aggregate nominal value.
  • The form shows details for People with Significant Control (PSC). A PSC owns over 25% of a company’s shares or voting rights or exercises some other form of control. The PSC information shows the name, date of birth and nationality. Moreover, if the PSC is a director, it shows the same two addresses for the director. Furthermore, it shows the date they first became a Person with Significant Control.

Most UK limited companies now keep a PSC register at their registered office. However, a company owner can keep this at the alternative SAIL address. In addition, the register must be ready for inspection upon request. As mentioned, nearly all UK companies must maintain a PSC register, and an exemption from keeping a PSC register only applies to companies with voting shares trading on certain non-UK markets. These companies are subject to other rules regarding reporting ownership and who controls them.

How do you file Confirmation Statement (UK)?

CS01 Confirmation Statement Template 

When we consider how to file the CS01, you can find examples of the Confirmation Statement on the HMRC website. That’ll give you an idea of what information the form contains. If you look at a Companies House Confirmation Statement example on the HMRC website, it’ll assist you when filing a Confirmation Statement. There’s also official guidance from Companies House regarding completing the form.

Complete the Confirmation Statement & the review period

When we look at how to file a Confirmation Statement form, the form has a review period and a date it’s made up to. Your company’s review period will start on either the date you incorporated your company or the date you filed your last CS01.

The date you make the form up to is usually the anniversary of the company’s formation date. Therefore, you’ll usually file your form up to this anniversary date every year. That’s unless, at some point, you file a Companies House form CS01 up to a different date. If you file a return up to another date, that’ll be the new default date to which you will make the form up to in future.

File Confirmation Statement online process

A company must file the form within 14 days of the date on which the form is made up to. When you file the Companies House annual return online, you should check all the details shown on the form are correct before you submit this to Companies House.

You can file the form online via the WebFiling service on the Companies House website. On the other hand, you can follow this government web page to file your CS01. Your accountant will usually file cs01 online automatically as part of their annual service. There’s a standard £34 UK company annual return CS01 filing fee to pay to Companies House (£62 if you file on paper); however, is the Confirmation Statement fee tax-deductible? When we research this, we see that the Companies House Confirmation Statement fee is a tax-deductible expense. Furthermore, some online companies offer a UK Confirmation Statement service where they’ll file your company form for a nominal fee.

Alternatively, you can file a Companies House CS01 form by post and send the paper Confirmation Statement to Companies House. When you file in Confirmation Statement paper form, the Companies House £34 fee increases to £62, which will take longer than filing online. The UK Confirmation Statement cost, once again, is a tax-deductible expense.

Besides the annual Companies House Confirmation Statement cost, you may have to file other changes with Companies House each year. These could include changes in company officials or the addresses of these or your company. In addition, it could include a change of company name or business activity. Most of these don’t incur a Companies House fee, but one or two do, including a company name change. Finally, it’s worth noting that any Companies House filing fees your company pays are tax-deductible.

What other areas are there to consider?

How to correct a Confirmation Statement & file another form

In addition to the annual requirement to file the CS01, you can file a further CS01 before your next one is due if necessary. You might have to do this if you know an error needs correcting. There is no £34 annual fee to pay if you file another form before the next one is usually due.

Companies House Confirmation Statement overdue

If you have a late Confirmation Statement and have missed the filing date, you should complete the form and file it as soon as possible. There are no fines for UK confirmation statement filing which is late. However, Companies House has been known to remove a company from the register if a company has an overdue Confirmation Statement for over a month or so. When this happens, the company’s bank account is frozen, and any assets will go to the Crown. Consequently, it costs about £200 to officially restore a company, which isn’t straightforward.

Report any changes in your company during the year 

All private limited companies must report specific changes in their company details as changes occur during the year. This process is in place, so the information Companies House holds on record is current.

One frequent change may be your registered office address. Another could be when you appoint or resign officials or change a company official’s address.

Other changes may include the allotment of new shares and the who now owns these.

We have a separate guide if you’d like to change the name of your limited company.

Once again, you can file most changes via the WebFiling service on the Companies House website.

The Companies House CS01 form & is it a legal requirement? 

It’s a legal duty to file the CS01 form (Companies House) and pay the Companies House filing fee annually. Failure to do so could cause Companies House to assume your company is no longer trading and strike your business off the register. 

Final thoughts 

If your UK company doesn’t have a secretary, one of the directors will ensure they or their accountant file a Confirmation Statement (form CS01) on time every year. If you complete the CS01, you should check the details before filing it. Please also make any necessary changes before you file the form and pay the Companies House Confirmation Statement filing fee. Finally, please ensure you file it on time each year.

As a final thought, many UK contractors and business owners don’t have to worry about the requirement to file form CS01. In most cases, they’ll let their accountant handle this.

Link to Contractor Advice UK group on LinkedIn

Published On: April 6th, 2024 / Categories: First timer guide, Member Only Articles, Other Guides /

Share This Guide, Choose Your Platform!

Leave A Comment